There are some transactions which should have nullify effect on our budgeting like:
• Purchase return: fully or partial
• Transactions failure(debited then credited)
• Group expenses with single or multiple friends
• Reimbursement(office expenses, business trips etc. which are reimbursable)
Due to all these transactions, both our expenses and income increases which will result wrong statistics.
First of all, use the split feature feature if the transaction have partial reimbursable part.
- Create a sub-subcategory or rename any sub-category
- You can make 1 sub-subcategory for both debit & credit or 2 different for debit & credit transactions.
- Now create a filter to exclude that/those sub subcategory , and need to use filter every time.
Problems in this solution
• Need to use filter every time
• Need to remember to exclude those categories every time while making a new budget.
Link/merge transactions: Link or merge both the debit and credit transaction into a single transaction so that the transaction amount will become 0. And now it will not affect the stats because of single transaction with 0 amount. This can solve the current problems but have their own problems such as:
• Linking 2-3 transactions will be easy to find and merge like in case of transactions failure, or purchase return but in case of reimbursement, what if there is 15+ reimbursable transaction(at work or business trip) in a month and next month we get reimbursed. It will be difficult to find and link too many transactions.
• This new feature will only increase the work to find those transactions and link them.
What if the work will not increase and also get the purpose we need.
What purpose? Exclude those transactions from income and expenses so actual stats will be shown.
There is already have a feature which can be used by doing some improvements in it.
That is Debt category which we used for group expenses. E.g. spend 100 for 4 person 25 each including me. Split 100 into 4 of 25. One 25 will go to specific category and remaining 3 will go to debt category and Debt feature is used for lent to 3 person. And receiving from them also go to debt category. And add that record in debt feature. That’s it.
In this case debt amount will come into cash flow stats but not “spending stats” and “income & expense stats”. This is what we need from those nullify transaction also.
So we can also use debt category for those transactions also if anyone want to do. But it will be very useful to have more categories like debt which are out of income & expenses stats but include in cash flow stats.
Suggestions for categories: Reimbursement, Purchase return, Null, Void, or can move the already “custom categories” which is extra. And also can move “business trips category” from transportation because this is not our actual expense.
Creating this new categories will be good to solve this issue but should also have easy to select, not through search icon and typing. These extra categories should also be seen like most frequent categories slot which is just above all the various categories when selecting a category for a transaction.